Position at IDEA Public Schools
About IDEA Public Schools :
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years - that's 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA's co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve nearly 53 ,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. By 2022, IDEA will serve 100,000 students. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you-with continued growth in our current regions an d new launches in Houston (2020), Permian Basin (202 0 ), and Tampa Bay (2021)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video
About San Antonio
San Antonio is the nation's 7 th largest city and boasts the highest rate of population growth across the U.S. As the San Antonio region continues to grow rapidly, IDEA is committed to increasing our community presence to provide the best experience for all families and children.
In May 2019, we welcomed our region's first graduating seniors. We believe through the hard work of our passionate IDEA Team & Family; college acceptance and matriculation can be realized. Currently, 1 in 6 San Antonio students ' graduate college ready. Changing this statistic for the better is part of the promise IDEA makes to current and incoming students.
Join our IDEA San Antonio family as we are poised to serve 29,000 students at 37 local schools by 2022. Role Mission:
The Food Service Specialist ensures that appropriate quantities of food are prepared, portioned, and served to IDEA students. Other responsibilities include but are not limited to: cutting/chopping fruits & vegetables, following recipes, adhering to established kitchen processes, monitoring of students during meal periods (i.e. monitoring for appropriate behavior, encouraging students to consume more fresh fruits & vegetables, no sharing of food, etc.) and kitchen cleaning duties (sweeping, mopping, wiping tables, washing dishes, disposing of trash). Accountabilities:Possess an interest or passion for working with food
Understand how to read and execute recipes
- Has a basicknowledge or canquickly learn of food productionprocesses
- It all in one job-cooking, cleaning, restocking and resetting the kitchen for next day
- Can meet the physicaldemands of the job (lifting, bending,,walking, etc.)
- Has a basic knowledge of providing service to our customers (students)
Can take direction and feedbackwell
- Must be able to handle working withmedium tolarge equipment (i.e.ovens, slicer, steamer, etc.)
- Have basic math skills that directly relate to portioningfood items in small trays
- Takes pride in food that is prepared and served to the students
Can work around or with an academic calendar
- Things can change fast,must be able to adapt quickly inbeing switched from serving food to washing dishes
- Can take feedback well, especially during mid-year and end of year
- Can self-reflect and be honest with own performance, desire to correct mistakes quickly
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Extended periods of time where there is not work (i.e. Spring Break, Summer Break, Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break)
- During regular school days, 8 hours per day. Some overtime needed
- Depending on the campus, may need to work on Saturdays
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
Knowledge and Skills:
- High school diploma preferred, but not required
- Food service or restaurant experience preferred, but not required
- Food Handler's Permit (City of County)
- Ability to understand food recipes, safe handling of food and sanitation practices.
- Working knowledge of kitchen/food production procedures.
- Ability to operate kitchen equipment, tools, and utensils.
- Ability to perform basic math skill.
- Works well under pressure in a team setting.
- Ability to lift, bend, pull, push, twist.
- Salaries for this role typically fall between $13.50 and $15.53, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.