We believe that all children have a fundamental right to an excellent education.
Alpha Public Schools will ensure that all of our scholars develop the academic skills and leadership habits required to succeed in college and live with integrity.
Dean of Students, School Site Team
Do you believe that all students can achieve academic success? Are you passionate about working with students and helping to change their educational trajectories? Are you a strong collaborator who is excited by the opportunity to support a team in executing their goals?
If so, a position as a Dean of Students at Alpha may be the role you’re looking for. We are looking for enthusiastic individuals to uphold high expectations, fostering and facilitating the intellectual and social development of our scholars. Alpha’s approach to instruction is with patience and creativity, using activities and instructional methods that will motivate scholars. Alpha is fiercely entrepreneurial and our students, families, and teachers are focused on creating in our scholars self-reliant leaders who will achieve success in their school, college, and career.
What you’ll do…
- Embody the mission, vision and core beliefs of the school
- Teach and enforce school-wide systems, structures, and rules
- Execute all day-to-day Dean of Students responsibilities:
- Supports teacher and school staff in maintaining a safe and orderly environment in the classroom and non-classroom areas of the school, parking lot and grounds through the development and execution of systems, structures, and procedures
- Understand and enforce all school rules with students and staff and provide coaching when necessary.
- Administer or provide recommendation on appropriate consequences for students.
- Manage office referral duty and facilitate mediation meetings with students, as needed
- Support and facilitate restorative justice practices (circles and conflict mediation) when appropriate
- Monitors school culture throughout the day, including “hot spots” and troubleshoots system as needed
- Supports classroom teachers and administrators by providing intervention services to students who are being disruptive
- Ensure the physical safety of the school campus and all students and staff through developing and implementing systems, structures and supervision/oversight
- Develop and coordinate emergency plans and in emergency situations, manage the situations by responding to the scene, providing first aid, delegating tasks and assignments to faculty, and alerting additional police or emergency personnel as appropriate
- Write and submit incident reports and communicate reports with other school leaders as appropriate
- Develop, organize, manage, and account for school-wide reflective system and Tier 2 student support plans and interventions.
You stand out by being...
- Relationship Oriented: You build strong relationships with scholars and adults alike, and you successfully strike a balance of nurturing and firm in your communication with scholars
- Focused on Growth: You exhibit a strong commitment not only to our students, but also to your own continuous professional development. You possess the ability to implement feedback quickly
- Collaborative: You are especially team-oriented with stellar interpersonal and communication skills and are able to implement school-wide systems effectively and consistently
- Organized: You are self-motivated and reliable, with the ability to plan and execute on tasks; Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
- Committed: You are committed to working with students in traditionally underserved communities and demonstrate good moral character and initiative.
- High school diploma or GED, required
- CPR and First Aid Certification, highly preferred
- Fluent in Spanish, highly prefered
- 5+ years of work experience
- 1+ years’ experience youth development work on a school campus
Join our team…
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter online by clicking here: https://grnh.se/81a441971.
Alpha Public Schools is a network of four high-performing public charter schools founded by a group of East San José mothers dedicated to helping transform their community. We have a strong growth mindset – as individuals, as an organization, and on behalf of our students and families. We want to be better tomorrow than we are today.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
Salary is competitive and compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package.Questions? Contact us at [email protected]