NewSchools Venture Fund
Associate Partner - New School Development (Invent)
Nationally recognized nonprofit venture philanthropy seeks an Associate Partner to coach and support a large portfolio of teams who are planning and launching the next generation of innovative new schools.
NewSchools Venture Fund is a national nonprofit that invests in innovative education entrepreneurs and helps them to achieve outstanding results for the schools, students and educators they serve. We are committed to helping students graduate from high school prepared and inspired to achieve their most ambitious dreams and plans. Through our investing, management assistance, network building, and thought leadership, NewSchools helps to reimagine PreK-12 education.
We have a passionate, inclusive, bold, accountable, and connected culture where team members at all levels have the opportunity to grow and contribute. Please visit our website at www.newschools.org to learn more about NewSchools Venture Fund and our core values.
The Innovative Schools team seeks an Associate Partner to join a fun, passionate and dedicated group of people focused on new school development (the NewSchools Invent program). You will be a critical member of the six-person Invent team, focused on providing strategic advice and support to a national portfolio of innovative new schools. You will be based in our office in Oakland, CA, and report to Frances Messano, Senior Managing Partner and a member of NSVF’s leadership team.
To learn more about our work, please review:
Your legacy at NewSchools will include:
- A strong portfolio of innovative new schools that help students succeed within an expanded definition of success, with your coaching and support. You'll have the opportunity to:
- Support a portfolio of approximately 20-25 education entrepreneurs who are launching and leading innovative new schools and who have a wide range of skills and needs
- Develop customized management assistance approaches to support the success of each team and new school
- Coach founding leadership teams to start and sustain a strong new school
- Partner with outside experts to provide targeted support that is tailored to our schools’ individual needs
- Lead cycles of inquiry that promote continuous improvement towards a collective goal
- An enhanced management assistance strategy and work that increased the field’s understanding of emerging school models. You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Contribute to improving our current management assistance approach by collaborating with the team on the design and facilitation of communities of practice and on the codification of resources (topics may include innovative school models, academics and instruction, diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI), new school development and scaling)
- Use the lessons from the portfolio as opportunities for NewSchools to advance the field’s understanding of new school models through thought leadership to communicate what we are learning and by representing NewSchools at conferences and events
- A contribution to the diligence process for prospective teams looking to launch new schools. You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Conduct due diligence on prospective teams’ ideas, leadership and launch plans to make investment decisions
- Document decisions in investment memos and share rationale with key stakeholders
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Deep understanding of the challenges and best practices in launching new schools, based on direct experience
- Passion for innovation and excellence in public education
- Experience in leadership development, specifically as a coach to education leaders
- Personal presence necessary to effectively support and influence our ventures
- Ability to coach and support entrepreneurial educators to find greater success in their work
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, owning high-priority tasks and multiple projects at once with minimal guidance and support
- Ability to travel up to 25% for school visits, convenings and occasional conferences
- Working style suited to a small-office setting with limited support staff, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite with the ability to produce high quality work products in each program
- Minimum of 8 years professional experience in PreK-12 education
- At least 5 years in schools or educational programming directly serving students, with progressive levels of leadership responsibility is preferred
- Experience with innovative learning environments (i.e. personalized learning, project-based learning, blended learning, competency-based education and/or progressive education) a plus
We offer a competitive compensation package including base salary, performance bonus, professional development, and complete benefits.
NewSchools Venture Fund has a strong commitment to diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.