Please note that we are considering candidates for a June 2019 start date.
MISSION: The Texas Education Agency (TEA) will improve outcomes for all public school students in the state by providing leadership, guidance, and support to school systems.
POSITION TITLE: Program Specialist, Educator Standards (Program Specialist V)
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Program Specialist will work to transform the future of educators in Texas by managing the drafting of educator standards, educator preparation communication and capacity-building, and assessment launch on multiple certifications at any given time. The Texas Education Agency believes in backwards planning, and this role provides an exciting opportunity to create the standards and assessments that will drive the training and coursework provided to our future educators. This Program Specialist will ensure the rigor and inclusion of current best practices from standards to training to assessment to ensure future PK-12 student success by consistently involving current practitioners and communicating upcoming changes to the field.
Please note that attachments, including resumes and cover letters, will not be considered for this position.
Applicants who are strongly being considered for employment must submit to a national criminal history background check.
- Educator Standards: Oversees, coordinates, and manages the review, development, refinement, adoption, and maintenance of educator standards used for certification testing and educator preparation development and approval
- Educator Testing: Supports the development of certification exams to ensure rigor, relevance, quality, and alignment with standards, best practices in pedagogy and content knowledge including, but not limited to research of nationwide certification and licensure initiatives, development committee recruitment, selection, and facilitation, as well as test item review to ensure the quality of content and format including the expertise in the field and in the agency
- Project Management: Manages timelines and coordinates resources needed from standards through assessment process by facilitating communication with the testing vendor, academics staff, and educator leadership and quality staff
- Educator Preparation: Facilitates the communication and convening of changes to assessment/standards to Educator Preparation Programs that includes, but is not limited to, webinars, in-person professional development, developing of resources, etc.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Responds to EPP, candidate, and stakeholder concerns, State Board of Educator Certification, State Board of Education, and legislative requests
Education: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university, advanced degree preferred
Experience: At least 3 years of experience in teaching, including a demonstrated track record of improving outcomes for diverse student populations.
Substitutions: Education and experience may substitute for one another on a year-for-year basis.
- Experience in long-term project planning, including establishing outcomes, determining evaluative measures, and tracking progress
- Experience with balancing the demands of multiple projects at different stages of development while maintaining quality and consistency across all work with periodic job and task ambiguity
- Experience in creating standards-aligned assessments that ensure quality, validity, and reliability
- Demonstration of inclusive and positive verbal and written communication
- Communicates complex ideas into practical and accessible language
- Experience with working with a variety of stakeholders through small and large group facilitation opportunities
- A desire to self-reflect, give/receive feedback and continuously improve
- National board certification strongly preferred