Nationally recognized nonprofit venture philanthropy seeks an Associate Partner to support its strategy focused on advancing diverse leadership in education.
NewSchools Venture Fund is a national nonprofit that supports and invests in promising and innovative education entrepreneurs and leaders, and helps them accomplish their missions to achieve outstanding results for the schools, students and educators they serve. We are committed to helping students graduate high school prepared and inspired to achieve their most ambitious dreams and plans. Through our investing, management assistance, network building, and thought leadership, NewSchools helps to reimagine PK-12 education.
We have a passionate, inclusive, bold, accountable and connected culture where employees at all levels have the opportunity to grow and contribute. Please visit our website at www.newschools.org to learn more about NewSchools Venture Fund and our core values.
DIVERSE LEADERS INVESTMENT AREA
The Diverse Leaders strategy aims to advance Black and Latino leadership in education. Our goal is for Black and Latino leaders to represent at least 40 percent of the PreK-12 education workforce, mirroring the demographics of U.S. students today. We are accomplishing this in the following ways:
- Invest in entrepreneurs with bold new ideas to diversify education leadership. We provide seed funding to new organizations and support new initiatives in existing organizations. These organizations and initiatives are:
- Recruiting new Black and Latino leaders
- Accelerating the careers of Black and Latino educators
- Building networks of Black and Latino leaders to connect with each other
- Building the capacity of education organizations to become more diverse, equitable, and inclusive
- Influence funders and partners to prioritize diversity, equity and inclusion. We advise funders on their DEI strategy development, engage in funder convenings, and create high-impact publications to advance action on this topic and share lessons from the field.
- Advance our internal capacity to be leaders for equity and support the DEI work of our Innovative Schools and Ed Tech ventures. We provide DEI capacity building support, tools, and research to our ventures, support our organization’s DEI learning goals and ensure investment teams are able to increase the representation of Black and Latino leaders among our ventures, which is currently at 35%.
To learn more about our work, please review our strategy overview: https://www.newschools.org/diverse-leaders/strategy/
Reporting to the Partner, you will be based in our office in Oakland, CA.
1. Provide Direct Support to Our Ventures: The value that we offer ventures extends beyond the financial investment we make in them. We provide “management assistance” to entrepreneurs to ensure that they receive the guidance and support they need to grow and thrive. In this role, you will…
- Serve as a primary relationship manager for venture leaders in this portfolio, seeking to build strong, trusting relationships over time
- Provide coaching support to these ventures, with primary emphasis on identifying and addressing strategic, operational, and programmatic needs within the organization and across the portfolio
- Plan and deliver impactful and inspiring in-person adult learning experiences for our ventures approximately 2-4 times per year
- Engage outside experts to provide support that is targeted to our ventures’ needs
- Identify opportunities to support meaningful collaboration among our ventures to accelerate field-wide impact
- Work alongside internal team members and external contractors to coordinate event logistics to ensure that they run smoothly and our ventures’ needs are met
2. Participate in the Investment Process: We are committed to building a diverse pipeline of visionary entrepreneurs and ensuring that they have a positive, seamless experience from the beginning to end of our process. In that spirit, you will…
- Contribute to investment process work streams by reviewing applications, conducting due diligence and participating in selection meetings
- Support team in creating thorough, well-written investment memos for leadership and board approval, when needed
- Review interim and final reports from our ventures and capture critical lessons learned to inform our strategy and thought leadership effort
3. Contribute to the overall Diverse Leaders strategy, especially how we influence the field to advance diversity, equity and inclusion:
- Develop ideas for original research, projects and insights we should develop to influence the field
- Produce public facing content to communicate what we are learning, develop sessions for our annual Summit and other education conferences, and represent NewSchools at events
- Support Partner in designing and implementing team-wide DEI learning to ensure we are equipped to serve as leaders for equity
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Belief that education leaders need to prioritize the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and that increased levels of diversity in education will drive improved outcomes for students
- Passion for innovation and excellence in public education
- Demonstrated pursuit of diversity, equity, and inclusion; direct experience and content knowledge of DEI practices highly valued
- Experience designing and executing high-impact adult learning experiences
- Effective project manager with attention to detail and ability to drive to completion
- Willingness to own multiple high-priority tasks and projects with minimal guidance and support
- Personal presence necessary to effectively support and influence our ventures and partners
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, owning high-priority tasks and projects with minimal guidance and support
- Strong strategic thinking and analysis skills; proficiency in financial modeling and financial statement analysis valued
- Proven ability to develop and present professional materials (e.g. spreadsheets, written memos, presentations)
- Ability to travel up to 25% for site visits, convenings and conferences
- Working style suited to a small-office setting with limited support staff, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued
- Minimum 7 years of experience required
- PK-12 education or social impact sector with progressive levels of leadership and responsibility preferred
- Ideal candidates would have one or more of the following experience:
- Founder or founding team member of a social impact organization
- Leadership role at social impact organization during a period of growth
- Work at a diversity, equity, and inclusion focused organization
- Substantial role in scaling a school network, nonprofit, or company
- Leadership role in designing, codifying, and scaling an innovative product, instructional model, or curriculum
- Management consulting work in either the non-profit or for-profit sectors
A competitive compensation package including base salary, performance bonus and complete benefits is available.
NewSchools Venture Fund has a strong commitment to diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.