Nationally recognized nonprofit venture philanthropy seeks an Associate Partner to support its strategy focused on advancing diverse leadership in education.
NewSchools Venture Fund is a national nonprofit that supports and invests in promising and innovative education entrepreneurs and leaders, and helps them accomplish their missions to achieve outstanding results for the schools, students and educators they serve. We are committed to helping students graduate high school prepared and inspired to achieve their most ambitious dreams and plans. Through our investing, management assistance, network building, and thought leadership, NewSchools helps to reimagine PK-12 education.
We have a passionate, inclusive, bold, accountable and connected culture where employees at all levels have the opportunity to grow and contribute. Please visit our website at www.newschools.org to learn more about NewSchools Venture Fund and our core values.
DIVERSE LEADERS INVESTMENT AREA
The Diverse Leaders strategy aims to advance Black and Latino leadership in education. Our goal is for Black and Latino leaders to represent at least 40 percent of the PreK-12 education workforce, mirroring the demographics of U.S. students today. We are accomplishing this in the following ways:
- Invest in entrepreneurs with bold new ideas to diversify education leadership. We provide seed funding to new organizations and support new initiatives in existing organizations. These organizations and initiatives are:
- Recruiting new Black and Latino leaders
- Accelerating the careers of Black and Latino educators
- Building networks of Black and Latino leaders to connect with each other
- Building the capacity of education organizations to become more diverse, equitable, and inclusive
- Influence funders and partners to prioritize diversity, equity and inclusion. We advise funders on their DEI strategy development, engage in funder convenings, and create high-impact publications to advance action on this topic and share lessons from the field.
- Advance our internal capacity to be leaders for equity and support the DEI work of our Innovative Schools and Ed Tech ventures. We provide DEI capacity building support, tools, and research to our ventures, support our organization’s DEI learning goals and ensure investment teams are able to increase the representation of Black and Latino leaders among our ventures, which is currently at 35%.
To learn more about our work, please review our strategy overview: https://www.newschools.org/diverse-leaders/strategy/
Reporting to the Partner, you will be based in our office in Oakland, CA.
1. Lead the design, outreach, and launch of the Diverse Leaders application process. You will:
- Refine the NewSchools Diverse Leaders application process
- Support the development and execution of communications, recruitment, and outreach strategies to create a robust, diverse, and high-quality applicant pool
- Build relationships with partner organizations to facilitate strong recruitment and diligence activities
- Serve as an external representative of NewSchools and field questions from prospective applicants
2. Conduct due diligence on prospective ventures to make investment decisions. You will:
- Lead project management for due diligence efforts, optimizing structures and systems to support team participation and decision-making
- Synthesize findings from due diligence efforts to write investment memos that summarize the team’s investment rationale
- Capture lessons learned from the team decision making process and identify ways to improve diligence in the future
- Manage the grant development and execution process
3. Contribute to relationship management of venture leaders. You will:
- Provide operational support related to relationship management including scheduling, coordinating agendas, and tracking next steps between NewSchools Venture Fund and venture leaders
- Surface lessons from the ventures you’re supporting to inform our approach to selection and management assistance
- Over time and with training, begin to take on increased responsibility for coaching and supporting venture leaders in their work
4. Support key operational needs across the Diverse Leaders team. You will:
- Plan and facilitate team meetings
- Act as a liaison to our internal communications team
- Write and send external communications to ventures and partners
- Oversee team scheduling, external communications, and requests of ventures such as surveys and data, working closely with the team Analyst on execution
- Write bi-weekly reports
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Belief that education leaders need to prioritize the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and that increased levels of diversity in education will drive improved outcomes for students
- Passion for innovation and excellence in public education
- Demonstrated pursuit of diversity, equity, and inclusion; direct experience and content knowledge of DEI practices highly valued
- Effective project manager with attention to detail and ability to drive to completion
- Willingness to own multiple high-priority tasks and projects with minimal guidance and support
- Personal presence necessary to effectively support and influence our ventures and partners
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, owning high-priority tasks and projects with minimal guidance and support
- Strong strategic thinking and analysis skills; proficiency in financial modeling and financial statement analysis valued
- Proven ability to develop and present professional materials (e.g. spreadsheets, written memos, presentations)
- Ability to travel up to 25% for site visits, convenings and conferences
- Working style suited to a small-office setting with limited support staff, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued
- Minimum 7 years of experience required
- PK-12 education or social impact sector with progressive levels of leadership and responsibility preferred
- Ideal candidates would have one or more of the following experience:
- Founder or founding team member of a social impact organization
- Leadership role at social impact organization during a period of growth
- Work at a diversity, equity, and inclusion focused organization
- Substantial role in scaling a school network, nonprofit, or company
- Leadership role in designing, codifying, and scaling an innovative product, instructional model, or curriculum
- Management consulting work in either the non-profit or for-profit sectors
- Work at a leadership development organization
- Work at a similar organization that provides support to entrepreneurs
A competitive compensation package including base salary, performance bonus and complete benefits is available.
NewSchools Venture Fund has a strong commitment to diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.