GO Public Schools is a multi-city organization of local networks, working with families, educators, and community members to create schools driven by the needs of students today — not by practices and structures designed for schools of the past. Currently, GO supports networks of leaders in the Fresno, Oakland, and West Contra Costa communities, and they are supported through both GO Public Schools (a 501c3) and GO Public Schools Advocates (a 501c4). GO envisions a day when schools prepare all children for success in our rapidly evolving world, creating an equitable path to opportunity in our communities.
GO develops leadership at every level — families, educators, school boards, district leaders, and grasstops. These leaders inform and develop community visions for student success, and they shape, demand, and win system changes that improve student learning. Over the next ten years, GO plans to scale its impact significantly, growing its multi-city organization of local networks and overall state platform — impacting 500,000 students by 2026 and fully leveraging the strength of local GO sites to create significant state-level policy and political wins.
THE OPPORTUNITY AND CHARGE
GO Public Schools is seeking a Director of Finance to ensure that our organization is effective at responsibly managing our finances. This position will report to our Chief Operating Officer and will help oversee the finance-related administrative work of one manager-level employee. The position is available immediately and can be based in Oakland or Sacramento.
Develop Short and Long-Range Financial Forecasts
- Execute on vision and strategy related to financial management in partnership with the COO:
- Oversee overall financial management, planning, systems, and controls
- Develop long-range forecasts and maintain long-range financial plans
- Keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status and manage organizational cash flow and forecasting
- Prepare financial presentations for both 501c3 (GO Public Schools) and 501c4 (GO Public Schools Advocates) Board of Directors
- Execute on annual budgeting and planning process for the organization’s annual budget
- Complete monthly and annual financial statements for both our 501c3 (GO Public Schools) and our 501c4 (GO Public Schools Advocates). Complete semi-annual financial forecasts for our 527 PAC organization; complete weekly forecasts during the election cycle
- Process and reconcile payroll semi-monthly
- Process retirement contributions semi-monthly
Maintain financial documents and systems
- Ensure proper internal controls are in place for the organization
- Maintain and monitor all fundraising and accounting systems and procedures capturing all pledges, billings, and receipts and for the recording of all revenue transactions. Update and improve systems as needed
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including bookkeeper, third-party vendors, and consultants
- Ensure all vendor contracts are approved, recorded, and adhered to as necessary
- Ensure organization and maintenance of fiscal documents
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; ensure adherence to the accounting manual and update as necessary
- During campaign season, track spending and staff time as needed to file necessary legal paperwork for the 527 PAC
Manage external relationships and contractors
- Prepare for annual audit and ensure independent auditors have all necessary documentation
- Manage part-time bookkeeper to prepare materials for monthly reporting, annual auditing, and tax filings
- With bookkeeper, ensure reconciliation of monthly bank accounts and credit card accounts and manage Fiscal Year close-out of 501c3 and 501c4
- With bookkeeper, ensure proper allocation of payroll expenses and that intercompany payables and receivables are calculated correctly. Prepare invoices between our 501c3 and 501c4 organizations and 527 PAC organizations
- With bookkeeper, ensure proper management of the accounts payable and expense payables processes from start to finish including approving and reconciling invoices, entering transactions into our accounting system, print checks, and process accounts payable
- With external accountant and bookkeeper, prepare tax returns for both 501c3 and 501c4 organizations
- Ensure law firm managing our 527 PAC’s finances files all necessary legal documents and taxes
Manage Organizational Paperwork and Compliance
- Ensure organizational insurance is reevaluated and updated annually
Mindsets and Skills
- Values champion – Motivated by the overall vision and values of the organization, and a champion of diversity, equity and inclusiveness
- Influencer/motivator – Will have strong skills in building relationships, communication, and a history of motivating others to work together towards goals. This leader must be comfortable asking others to take action and to prioritize participation in GO’s work in the midst of many competing priorities
- Personal Responsibility - Has a high level of personal responsibility for their work and believes that they can improve their leadership skills over time, so they are eager to ask for and receive feedback.
- Pro-active initiative-taker - Sees problems where others might not see them; they are excited to take their work from A to A+ and comes to conversations with proposed solutions to problems whenever possible
- Growth mindset – Believes that they can improve their leadership skills over time and is eager to ask for and receive feedback
- Critical thinking – Possesses excellent judgment and be able to make strategic decisions
- Team player – Excels in a small-team environment that requires team members to wear many hats and support each other’s work (e.g., have “all hands on deck” for a particular project or event)
- Goal-driven and organized – This leader is driven to achieve GO’s vision. This leader sets and uses goals to help colleagues, teams, partners, and volunteers work toward that vision. She/he is motivated by goals as a tool to make sure we are spending time wisely. This leader must have strong follow-through supported by excellent organizational systems
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree required; MBA or other advanced degree preferred
- 3+ years in working in financial management required; experience at a small and growing nonprofit preferred
- Management of external contractors and vendors preferred
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is offered, including:
- Healthcare (medical, dental, and vision) provided at 100% for employees and 75% for dependents
- Healthcare plan options – choose between Anthem PPO, HMO or Kaiser HMO
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Account (DCA)
- 2 weeks of observed holidays annually
- 2 – 3 weeks of paid time off (grows with years of experience at GO)
- 2 additional weeks of time off during winter break
- 40% pay for all new parents to match and supplement State of California Paid Family Leave and/or Disability benefits
- Simple IRA retirement plan with up to 3% annual salary match
- Paid life and long-term-disability policy
- Up to $75/month in cell phone reimbursement
- Paid professional development opportunities
- Support for new parents that are required to travel with partial reimbursement for accompanying caregiver travel expense or reimbursement for nursing mothers to ship breast milk home.
Please send a resume and cover letter addressed to Darcel Sanders at [email protected] Application materials should be submitted as attached documents and saved in the filename format.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
GO Public Schools seeks individuals of all backgrounds without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, marital status, genetics, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination to apply for this position. We are committed to ensuring diversity within our organization and network, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
ABOUT GO PUBLIC SCHOOLS
GO Public Schools is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that undertakes policy advocacy and public education efforts. Donations to GO Public Schools are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
GO Public Schools is related to GO Public Schools Advocates, a separate 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization that engages in lobbying, ballot measure, and partisan elections work. Donations to GO Public Schools Advocates are never tax deductible. GO Public Schools and GO Public Schools Advocates — sometimes jointly referred to by the name “GO” — have the same overall missions and share office space and employees. They maintain separate boards of directors. The person filling this position will be hired by GO Public Schools, but on occasion will perform some or all of the duties described for GO Public Schools Advocates.