POSITION: Education Specialist
REPORTS TO: Director of Special Education
- Alpha Public Schools students and families
- Alpha school leaders, office manager, teachers, education specialists and ANT staff
LOCATION: Alpha Public Schools, San Jose, CA
Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose.
Alpha students, families and teachers collaborate to develop the 21st century academic skills and character strengths students need for success in school, college and career. Together we create self-reliant leaders committed to making positive change in the world.
Alpha is seeking entrepreneurial teachers who will thrive in a dynamic startup environment. Alpha teachers have high expectations for all students and a willingness to work hard, doing whatever is necessary to ensure the success of every student. They possess a growth mindset, strong personal character, and a consistent track record of high performance that is results-oriented. They are hard working, punctual, urgent, energetic, and embrace a spirit of self-reflection with a constant desire to improve. Finally, Alpha’s teachers hold a deep belief that all students can succeed in college, and that it is the responsibility of secondary school teachers to ensure that success.
Instruction & Delivery
- Under the direction and supervision of the principal and Director of Special Education, the Education Specialist will provide specialized academic instruction to identified students with disabilities who meet eligibility criteria established by federal and state law
- Provide push in, pull out, and/or consultative specialized academic instruction for students with disabilities
- Teach special education ELA and Math classes to groups of 10-15 students
- Serve as a resource classroom teacher, which includes creating lesson plans based on provided unit plans, planning assessments, grading and maintaining a gradebook, and supporting a small classroom of learners
- Provide legally defensible implementation of services, supports, accommodations, and modifications as provided by students’ IEPs
- Demonstrate knowledge of and compliance with special education laws, as well as school policies and procedures
- Collaborate with general education teachers to ensure consistent implementation of IEPs across all school environments
- Prepare daily lesson plans utilizing a variety of instructional strategies and techniques based on individual need
- Utilize assessment results, both formal and informal, to develop legally defensible and data-driven IEPs
- Participate in all professional development meetings/retreats and opportunities to further enhance your expertise as a teacher and leadership skills as an Alpha employee
- Reflect regularly on teaching practice and act on constructive feedback
- Engage in collaborative curricula development, data analysis, and problem solving
- Maximize personalized learning by creatively leveraging blended learning resources and adjusting teaching practices to ensure high student achievement
- Manage behaviors within resource room, and support school community in managing larger-scale Tier 2 behavior interventions
- Provide timely feedback to and facilitate collaboration and communication between students, parents, and general education teachers
- Create a safe, fun and academically challenging classroom culture
- Reinforce the school-wide behavior management systems and expectations
- Build on the student core values and personalized leadership training in and outside of the classroom
- Hold all students to high expectations both academic and behavior
- Develop positive relationships with students, families, and colleagues
- Collect data on and monitor individual student performance, adjusting instruction and supports as necessary to ensure progress toward IEP goals
- Use data to refine curriculum, inform instructional practices, and drive progress towards academic standards
- EXPERIENCED: Alpha teachers typically have 1-5 years of teaching experience in an urban public school and Alpha teachers must hold a valid teaching credential.
- DRIVEN: Alpha teachers have a relentless drive to advance the minds and lives of students in and out of the classrooms. They have a strong sense of personal responsibility.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL: Alpha teachers are risk takers who innovate in the classroom to best suit the needs of students. They learn from data, and act on constructive criticism to improve their craft.
- COLLABORATIVE: Alpha teachers engage in regular problem solving and curriculum construction in grade level teams. They demonstrate strong communication and relationship building with students, families, and colleagues.
- FLEXIBLE: Alpha teachers adapt to meet the needs of students and a startup work environment.
- Highly organized and able to create and maintain school systems
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese a plus
- Valid California Teaching or Education Specialist Credential (Special Education - Mild to Moderate), intern credential or equivalent and Bachelor’s Degree, including all courses needed to meet credential requirements.
- NCLB compliant
What Alpha Offers Its Teachers
As a teacher at Alpha, you will change the educational and economic trajectory of students who otherwise would not attend college. You will significantly and directly impact the success and direction of a startup charter school, and have the opportunity to advance into a leadership role within a rapidly growing organization.
- Competitive starting salaries
- Excellent medical benefits
- Pathways to leadership and specialization
- Frequent instructional coaching and administrative support
- A safe, engaging, dynamic work environment
- Technology needs, including a laptop computer, email, and class web page
- A remarkably supportive staff and mission-driven organization
Apply to work at Alpha:
Please submit your application online
- A cover letter that includes the following:
- Why do you want to teach at Alpha Public Schools? (250 words or less)
- What is your philosophy on Special Education? (250 words or less)
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
If you have any questions, reach out to the Recruitment Team at [email protected]