POSITION: High School Science Teacher - Chemistry
REPORTS TO: Principal
LOCATION: San Jose, CA
- Alpha Public Schools students and families
- Alpha school leaders, office manager, teachers, education specialists and CMO staff
Born out of parent activism, Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose. Alpha’s mission is to provide children from high-poverty communities with an education that effectively develops the academic skills and character competencies to overcome the achievement gap and graduate from college.
Alpha is seeking an entrepreneurial teacher to contribute to the Science department that teaches students to wonder, to inquire and explore our world with discipline, and to confront the ethical conflicts within those explorations. You will inspire curiosity and excitement in interacting with the chemical world.
This individual will have high expectations for all students and a willingness to work hard, doing whatever is necessary to ensure the success of every student. They possess a growth mindset, strong personal character, and a consistent track record of high performance that is results-oriented. They are hard working, punctual, urgent, energetic, and embrace a spirit of self-reflection with a constant desire to improve. Finally, Alpha’s teachers hold a deep belief that all students can succeed in college, and that it is the responsibility of secondary school teachers to ensure that success.
- EXPERIENCED: Alpha teachers typically have 1-5 years of teaching experience in an urban public school.
- DRIVEN: Alpha teachers have a relentless drive to advance the minds and lives of students in and out of the classrooms. They have a strong sense of personal responsibility.
- STRATEGIC: Alpha teachers work hard and smart. They use systems to make the most of finite resources, chiefly among them, time.
- GROWTH MINDSET: Alpha teachers are committed to their students’ growth and their own. They are both proud and critical of their work, and never stop seeking opportunities to improve.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL: Alpha teachers are innovators who take responsible risks to develop solutions to meet each students’ needs. They learn from data, and act on constructive criticism to improve their craft.
- COLLABORATIVE: Alpha teachers solve challenges and work together to advance their craft as a team. They demonstrate strong communication and relationship building with students, families, and colleagues.
- FLEXIBLE: Alpha teachers adapt to meet the needs of students and a startup work environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid Teaching Credential or eligibility for an Intern Credential, required.
- Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese a plus.
- Build strong relationships with students and their families
- Work closely with colleagues to problem solve and to create a successful learning environment
- Understand the assets and challenges our community faces
- Find and focus on opportunities to improve student learning
- Problem solve using a discipline approach to empathizing, brainstorming, and testing new solutions
- Taking responsible risks to test and refine new solutions
- Sharing solutions with the Alpha community and beyond
Instruction & Delivery
- Design and implement curricula aligned to Common Core standards
- Participate in all professional development meetings/retreats and opportunities to further enhance your expertise as a teacher and leadership skills as an Alpha employee
- Reflect regularly on teaching practice and act on constructive feedback
- Engage in collaborative curricula development, data analysis, and problem solving
- Maximize personalized learning by creatively leveraging blended learning resources and adjusting teaching practices to ensure high student achievement
- Create a safe, fun and academically challenging classroom culture
- Reinforce the school-wide behavior management systems and expectations
- Build on the student core values and personalized leadership training in and outside of the classroom
- Hold all students to high expectations both academic and behavior
- Use assessment data to refine curriculum, inform instructional practices, and drive progress towards academic standards
- Collect and assess data from the student database and all blended learning applications to drive decision making around student performance
- Analyze data with families, students and school leaders
What Alpha Offers Its Teachers
As a teacher at Alpha, you will change the educational and economic trajectory of students who otherwise would not attend college. You will work with a passionate, hard working and collaborative staff. You will significantly and directly impact the success and direction of a startup charter school, and have the opportunity to advance into a leadership role within a rapidly growing organization.
- Competitive starting salaries
- Excellent medical and retirement benefits
- A strong instructional coaching system and administrative support
- A committed team and mission-driven organization
- The opportunity to innovate and disrupt the traditional school model
- A parent community committed to educational excellence
- The opportunity to lay the foundation for the Biology Department and a school that will serve thousands of students
Apply to work at Alpha at: alphapublicschools.org
Please submit the following items:
- A cover letter that includes the following:
- Why do you want to teach at Alpha Public Schools? (250 words or less)
- What is your philosophy and approach on student behavior management and why? (250 words or less).
If you have questions, please reach out to [email protected]
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.