Position at IDEA Public Schools
About IDEA Public Schools :
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years - that's 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA's co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you-with continued growth in our current regions an d new launches in Tampa Bay , FL (2021) , and Jacksonville, FL (2022) !
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video
. About San Antonio
San Antonio is the nation's 7 th largest city and boasts the highest rate of population growth across the U.S. As the San Antonio region continues to grow rapidly, IDEA is committed to increasing our community presence to provide the best educational experience for all families and children.
In May 2019, we welcomed our region's first graduating seniors. We believe through the hard work of our passionate IDEA Team & Family; college acceptance and matriculation can be realized. Currently, 1 in 6 San Antonio students' graduate college ready. Changing this statistic for the better is part of the promise IDEA makes to current and incoming students.
Join our IDEA San Antonio family as we are poised to serve over 20,000 students at 30 schools in the region by 2022. Role Mission:
TheCafeteria Managerleads the CNP teamat the campus levelon our mission in becomingone ofthe healthiest school districtsin the nation. They adhere to the food and nutrition standards set forth by the United States Department of Agriculture(USDA)and Texas Department of Agriculture(TDA). They assign duties and tasks to the rest of theteam soappropriate quantities of food are ordered, prepared, and served according to the school's meal schedules. Other responsibilities include but are not limited to: implementing IDEA's Wellness Policy,monitoring the financial health of their cafeteriaoperation and following allstate &localhealth food establishment codes,and coordinating with campus leaders in making College For All a reality. Accountabilities Meet the campus fund balance goal by June 30 while maintaining menu compliance (prorated per semester).
- Direct the team to execute the menu 100% every day and as posted on our website
- Develop Cafeteria Asst. Manager in procedures for placing food orders with 100% accuracy as to execute the menu
- Ensure every student takes a minimum of 3 out of 5 meal components for breakfast and lunch
Maintain an 85% (or higher) employee retention rate for the cafeteria team.
- Prepare a Food Production Record as per state compliance (daily)
- Implement measures of inventory control, such as locking dry storage, double checking invoices against physical order, portion control per serving
- Understandthe monthly financial report (CNPBudget Tracker) and make sure to target 40% Food Cost and 25% Payroll Cost
- Train the team to limit waste due to overproduction of food, limit 5% of total food produced daily
Ensure 80% breakfast and 85% lunch student participation in our meal program.
- Recruit top notch candidates from the area while ensuring we extend the best pay possible
- Hold weekly employee huddles; topics vary between operations and nutritional matters
- Review and submit employee's timesheets every Tuesday so employees are paid accurately every 2 weeks
- Use the Staff Development Cycle to provide formal, timely and appropriate feedback on individual work performance and growth opportunities
Collect 99% of Free and Reduced Meals (FARM) applications and process for new students by first day of school, returning students by September 15.
- Ensure breakfast is delivered on time and the serving line is ready and fullystocked for all lunch meal periods
- Conduct and coordinate Breakfast in the Class audits (weekly) with a target compliance accuracy of 100%
- Prepare all recipes as designed by HQ CNP and report recipe/menu errors to the Nutrition Team immediately
- Use campus parent functions (i.e. report card night, ) to speak to parents about the advantages of participating in our meal program
- Complete food production records daily
Reach 95% collection of negative meal balances by last day of school.
- Communicate to all parents in how the FARM applications can be accessed during campus new student registration event
- Mail applications to all households by first week in July
- Use phone calls, voice messenger and email to follow up with households that have not submitted a meal application by August 1
- Escalate collection process to "house visits" on weekend before first day of school
We look for Team and Family who embody the followingvaluesand characteristics:
- Direct the Cafeteria Asst. Manager to call weekly; a call log must be kept
- Use campus voice messenger system to inform parents of their negative balance
- Use report card night to collect said balances (cash, check, credit card) and inform parents on the benefits of School Cafeto pay their meal balance
- Possible implementation of the "courtesy meal" program (as last resort) to collect meal balances; balance threshold established by said campus leaders
- Believes and is committed to our missionand being an agent of change: that all studentsare capable of gettingto and through college
- Has demonstrated effectiveoutcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improvequickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationshipsin order toachieve outcomes
- We believe in education asa professionand hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Education:High school diploma required, some college preferred
- 2+ years in school food service or restaurant related
- 1+ years having worked in a supervisory roll or leading a team
Knowledge and Skills:
- Valid Texas driver's license
- Valid Food Handler's card
- Ability to motivate, delegate, and lead a team to accomplish goals
- Good mathematical skills; must be able to compute rate, ratio, percent, and interpret graphic data
Compensation: Salaries for this role typically fall between $19.73-$24.66, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications.
- Computer skills with a focus on MS Word, MS Outlook, and MS Excel
- Knowledge of methods, materials, equipment, and processes used in food production
- Proficiency in use of calculator and office machines
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Public speaking or conducting daily, weekly, or monthly meetings
This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational performance and goal attainment.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.