Provide coordinated, direct counseling/intervention with students, consultation with families and teachers, and coordination with community agencies to support those impacted by the Santa Fe shooting.
1. Master’s degree in counseling or another related mental health area
2. Professional license/certificate in school mental health field (e.g., Licensed Specialist in School Psychology, Licensed Professional Counselor, Licensed Master Social Worker)
1. Three years of post-license experience in assessing and providing mental health counseling/intervention services to individuals experiencing crisis and/or traumatic experiences
2. Three years of experience working in public schools
3. Experience implementing and coaching best practices of Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS)
4. Experience developing and presenting professional development
Special Knowledge and Skills
1. Training in crisis and trauma counseling and intervention
2. Knowledge of individual and group counseling skills
3. Strong consultation skills for consulting with teachers, parents and students
4. Broad knowledge of the critical elements of the PBIS framework
5. Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
6. Ability to present information in one-on-one, small group, and large group situations to students, parents, and district staff
7. General knowledge of behavioral principles
1. Provide crisis support and individual, group, and family mental health counseling to students, parents, and school staff in Santa Fe ISD and surrounding impacted districts.
2. Coordinate services with other local service providers and refer clients as necessary.
3. Perform casework service with other local service providers and refer clients as necessary.
4. Establish strong therapeutic bonds with clients.
5. Provide rationally competent, evidence-based intervention and recovery services
6. Coordinate and integrate school and community resources and refer school staff and parents to community resources where appropriate.
7. Serve as consultant to school personnel regarding students or situations that are not referred for direct district or outside services.
8. Contribute to the planning and implementations of parent involvement activities. Develop and conduct parenting training and support groups.
9. Inform students and parents of their rights and responsibilities under federal and state law including
10. Develop and maintain effective individual and group relationships with students and parents.
11. Develop and coordinate a continuing evaluation of counseling services and make changes based on the findings.
12. Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other required documents.
13. Comply with policies established by federal and state laws, State Board of Education rule, and board policy.
14. Keep the principal and supervisor informed of relevant issues.
15. Comply with all district and campus routines and regulations.
16. Model behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible.
17. Participate in and provide professional development for district staff.
18. Exemplify high standards of ethical conduct.
19. Display tolerance necessary for accepting supervision and criticism of job performance.
20. Work in harmony with supervisory staff, faculty, and peer personnel.
21. Use professional information discreetly and judiciously.
22. Support and follow administrative and board policy.
23. Represent the school system in a positive, professional way.
24. Maintain a sincere, friendly attitude toward patrons.
25. Perform other professional duties as directed by the building principal and supervisor.
26. Develop systems to access customer needs for programming and services.
27. Develop products to support school personnel with intervening in this and subsequent traumatic events.
28. Participate in developing communication networks between Region 4, district personnel and community agencies.
29. Engage in professional development to maintain knowledge and skills in area(s) of responsibility.
30. Analyze data to evaluate the program effectiveness
31. Provide technical assistance and services as specified by any applicable grant that funds this position.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors/ Mental Demands:
Travel is required to multiple locations, including Santa Fe ISD and Region 4 ESC (must have reliable transportation); frequent use of standard office equipment; prolonged sitting; occasional bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting; repetitive hand motions (keyboarding and use of mouse); occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 20 pounds); may work prolonged and irregular hours; work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under pressure.