Nationally recognized nonprofit venture philanthropy seeks a Partner to lead the management assistance strategy for a portfolio of new and innovative public schools.
NewSchools Venture Fund is a national nonprofit that invests in innovative education entrepreneurs and helps them to achieve outstanding results for the schools, students and educators they serve. We are committed to helping students graduate from high school prepared and inspired to achieve their most ambitious dreams and plans. Through our investing, management assistance, network building, and thought leadership, NewSchools helps to reimagine PreK-12 education.
We have a passionate, inclusive, bold, accountable, and connected culture where team members at all levels have the opportunity to grow and contribute. Please visit our website at www.newschools.org to learn more about NewSchools Venture Fund and our core values.
The Innovative Schools team seeks a Partner to join a fun, passionate and dedicated group of people focused on new school development (NewSchools Invent). As a senior member of the largest investment team at NewSchools, you will focus primarily on designing and leading our management assistance support to a national portfolio of innovative new schools, and contribute to the team’s investment process. You will be a manager on the Invent team, supporting the growth and development of three direct reports. In this role, you will report to Frances Messano, Senior Managing Partner, and a member of NewSchools’ leadership team. You will be based in our office in Oakland, CA
To learn more about our work, please review:
Your legacy at NewSchools will include:
- Designing and leading our management assistance approach for a national portfolio of over 80 ventures who are planning and launching new public schools. You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Refine our current management assistance strategy and determine the best ways to maximize its effectiveness. A key goal will be providing timely and relevant, personalized and portfolio-wide support
- Lead the design of up to five, annual community of practice events to provide learning experiences and technical support to school leaders. Help design a continuous improvement pilot to ensure all schools are set up to support the academic, social and emotional development of their students.
- Create and curate resources, and codify best practices to support school leaders in the early-stages of planning and launching a new, innovative school (e.g., roadmap to launch, building a strong team and board, instructional model design, diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI), scaling, schools to learn from)
- Build relationships and partner with external experts to enhance the quality of our support services
- Directly support 10-15 school teams who have a wide range of skills and needs. Summarize key themes and trends across this group of schools, and support the full team of relationship management in doing the same. Leverage these patterns to make adjustments to our management assistance approach and to inform our thought leadership efforts
- Serving as a senior leader and manager on the Innovative Schools investment team. You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Manage the growth, development and retention of three Associate Partners
- Collaborate with the Invent and Research & Learning teams to ensure that we are able to deliver on our ambitious annual and long-term goals
- Advise other investment teams on their management assistance approach
- Represent our work at conferences and share what we are learning through blogs and short thought pieces
- Contributing to the investment process for prospective teams looking to launch new schools. You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Conduct due diligence on prospective teams’ ideas, leadership and launch plans to inform team investment decisions
- Document decisions in investment memos and share rationale with key stakeholders
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Deep understanding of the challenges and best practices related to launching new public schools
- Demonstrated track record leading in a fast-paced environment, managing a team to high performance and collaborating with a wide-range of stakeholders to achieve shared goals
- Demonstrated success in strategic planning and tactical execution experience
- Ability to manage multiple priorities amid ambiguity and to leverage creative thinking and resourcefulness
- Ability to design and facilitate highly-impactful adult learning experiences
- Ability to coach and support entrepreneurial educators to find greater success in their work
- Passion for innovation and excellence in public education
- A high degree of self-awareness and a relationship-orientation that inspires and motivates others
- Ability to travel up to 25% for school visits, convenings and occasional conferences
- Working style suited to a small-office setting with limited support staff, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite with the ability to produce high quality work products in each program
- Minimum of 12 years of professional experience with substantial experience working in or with PreK-12 schools, whether it’s through direct experience as a school founder, supporter of innovative schools, management consulting or foundation experience
- Senior leadership experience in entrepreneurial, innovative environments
- Demonstrated track record of success as a manager of people
- Experience with innovative learning environments (i.e. personalized learning, project-based learning, blended learning, competency-based education and/or progressive education)
We offer a competitive compensation package including base salary, performance bonus, professional development, and complete benefits.
NewSchools Venture Fund has a strong commitment to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply