Nationally recognized venture philanthropy firm seeks a Senior Analyst for a small, collaborative team focused on supporting innovative approaches to school redesign in PreK-12 education. This multifaceted role includes internally-facing support for our investment process and team coordination as well as the opportunity to contribute to convenings of ventures. This role will be based in Oakland, CA, will involve approximately 10% travel and will report to a remote Managing Partner.
NewSchools Venture Fund is a national nonprofit that supports and invests in promising and innovative education entrepreneurs and leaders and helps them accomplish their missions to achieve outstanding results for the schools, students and educators they serve. We are committed to helping students graduate high school prepared and inspired to achieve their most ambitious dreams and plans. Through our investing, management assistance, network building, and thought leadership, NewSchools helps to reimagine PreK-12 education.
We have a passionate, inclusive, bold, accountable and connected culture where employees at all levels have the opportunity to grow and contribute. Please visit NewSchools Venture Fund website learn more about our organization, our history and our current investment areas.
As a member of our Innovative Schools team, the Senior Analyst will play a key role in our efforts to find, fund, and support ventures focused on school redesign. Recently, we have increased our focus on “model providers” - organizations that partner with existing schools to support their redesign efforts. By providing a comprehensive bundle of integrated tools and resources, model providers are able to take responsibility for improving learning outcomes for a whole school, or a meaningful portion such as a full content area or grade band.
For additional context, we wrote a more detailed overview of this concept and our plans to support it. We also co-wrote a report - Still Dissatisfied, More Optimistic, Fully Committed – that further discusses our collective optimism for this strategy and our organization’s specific commitment.
The Senior Analyst will report to a Managing Partner, who is a member of our leadership team, and will work closely with the Senior Associate Partner to execute this part of our strategy. The primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support Investment Process: We are committed to building a diverse pipeline of visionary entrepreneurs and ensuring that they have a positive, seamless experience from the beginning to end of our process. In that spirit, you will…
- Manage critical work streams across the full continuum of the investment process – outreach and awareness building, application, due diligence, selection, and reporting
- Prepare thorough, well-written investment memos for leadership and board approval
- Review interim and final reports from our ventures and capture critical lessons learned to inform our strategy and thought leadership efforts
- Identify ways to improve our processes to ensure that we are efficient and effective, and that we are appropriately responding to the needs of our ventures
- Design and Manage Data Life Cycle
- Build out Airtable infrastructure to manage and track relevant data for: pipeline, investments, impact data, and communities of practice
- Manage annual data collection process for all ventures
- Respond to data requests from CEO, Development, and Research & Learning
- Glean insights from data for thought leadership pieces
- Seek ways to improve our processes as our strategy evolves and matures
- Manage Key Team Processes: We are a small team, and you will play a critical role in helping us maintain a positive team culture and achieve our goals. You will…
- Plan engaging and informative team meetings and retreats
- Monitor and report on team progress against key objectives
- Capture and share major updates with broader team
- Manage internal systems that help us achieve each of these objectives
- Contribute to Venture Support: The value that we offer extends beyond a financial investment. To help our ventures grow and thrive, we provide key leaders with a variety of supports that we collectively refer to as “management assistance.” In this role, you will partner with internal colleagues and external contractors to…
- Support the planning and execution of approximately three impactful in-person events per year for key leaders within our ventures
- Drive new approaches to support meaningful knowledge sharing and collaboration among our ventures virtually (e.g., social networks, newsletters, etc.)
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Passion for innovation and excellence in public education
- Knowledge of PreK-12 education history and trends
- Interest and comfort in data collection, data manipulation, and basic statistical analysis
- Strong strategic thinking and analysis skills, ideally in a PreK-12 setting
- Effective project manager with attention to detail and ability to drive to completion
- Willingness to own multiple high-priority tasks and projects with minimal guidance and support
- Ability to coordinate and plan high impact learning experiences for staff members and venture teams
- Proven ability to develop and present professional materials (e.g. spreadsheets, written memos, presentations)
- Ability to build collaborative relationships internally with a wide variety of stakeholders, built on trust, respect, clear communication and shared goals
- Personal presence and communications skills necessary to effectively interact with senior leaders
- Deep competency with PowerPoint, Word and Excel; proficiency with Airtable is a ideal
- Basic familiarity with communications and website software (e.g., MailChimp, Wordpress)
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated commitment to serving underserved communities
- Minimum 3 years of experience in PreK-12 education with progressive levels of leadership and responsibility
- Experience in consulting, business development and/or product management
We make a competitive compensation package available to all employees, including base salary, performance bonus, professional development, and complete benefits.
NewSchools Venture Fund has a strong commitment to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.