May 03, 2021
Founded in Houston in 1994, KIPP has become a national leader in partnering with families and communities, to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose - college, career, and beyond - so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
In 2018, KIPP schools in Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio joined forces to become KIPP Texas Public Schools, a nonprofit public charter school network, accelerating student academic outcomes and impacting more students across Texas. As a unified, statewide organization, KIPP Texas can more effectively leverage the talent, resources, instructional expertise, financial strength, and advocacy in the public charter school movement, in order to have an even larger impact with educationally underserved communities across the state.
In the 2020-2021 school year, KIPP Texas Public Schools will educate more than 31,100 students in 59 schools, placing the district among the top 50 largest in the state. KIPP Texas will continue to prove what is possible for its students, communities, and state, with a goal of growing to educate 100,000 students and achieving a 75% college graduation rate for alumni.
The mission and vision of KIPP Texas is grounded in five Core Values as its cultural North Star:
As a Team & Family, we:
Persist with Purpose
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are part of the free public school system and enrollment is open to all students. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income families.
The Business Manager is responsible for managing the financial and budgetary process of the school to ensure that the school derives maximum benefit from its budget. He/she will work closely with the School Leader to develop a school budget based on anticipated school year expenditures and will focus on ensuring that the school stays within these parameters.
This position furthers the mission of KIPP Texas because it ensures that school funds are spent intentionally and that funding is available for all planned expenses.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The Business Manager will:
1. Work with the School Leader to develop a school budget at the beginning of the school year to be approved by the Chief Accounting Officer
a. Maintain the school budget by tracking all deposits and expenditures
b. Ensure that financial information and data is timely, comprehensive, and accurate
c. Complete local reports and inform the school leader of any discrepancies and flags
d. Assume responsibility for the financial management of any new major projects
2. Ensure that school bills are submitted to Accounts Payable and are paid in a timely manner
3. Code and reconcile monthly credit card statements
4. Work with the KIPP Texas Development Team, as needed, to raise awareness about the school
a. Assist with campus tours when guests and potential donors are on campus
b. Assist the Director of Development with grants that will support existing school programs or that will fund new programs
c. Assist the Development team with any additional fundraising programs or campaigns
5. Serve as the school liaison with KIPP Inc. for various administrative and technical items, such as payroll concerns, health insurance, cell phones, computers, and any other employee needs
6. As needed, assist the school leader on a variety of events, planning, and administrative tasks
Education and Knowledge:
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or related field from an accredited institution, plus a minimum of 3-4 years of professional work experience
• Knowledge of school finance and budgeting principals
• Excellent attention to detail and a high level of accuracy required
• Excellent organizational skills required
• Strong work ethic coupled with an enthusiastic and passionate approach to work
• Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative
• Ability to clearly articulate and sell a vision, outline and detail a project plan, and execute it
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, and the community
• Ability to work independently and to use creative thinking in problem solving with little or no instruction
• Extreme flexibility, with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate a high level of responsibility and multiple, changing priorities
• Proven written and verbal communication skills
• Proven success in working in an environment characterized by changing priorities
• Strong typing skills are required
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
• Advanced Proficiency in Microsoft Excel is required for complex analysis
• Experience using Clarity Accounting software, a plus
• Proficiency using computers, printers, copy machines, and fax machines
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary scale, a part of KIPP Texas' competitive benefits options, KIPP offers all employees an $0 HMO plan for the employee only. In addition to our $0 plan, KIPP provides a $600 employer contribution towards a Health Savings Account and a variety of other supplemental benefits such as Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.