Position Summary: The Program Manager, Online Learning, works collaboratively with member leaders, volunteer design teams, presenters, consultants, vendors, subject matter experts (SMEs) and NAFSA staff to design and develop online professional development offerings to meet training and learning needs of the field. This position reports to the Senior Director, Professional Learning Services (PLS), and is responsible for designing and delivering educationally sound and financially viable online learning offerings and serves as the PLS lead for department-wide product design and branding consistency.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
Guided by the Senior Director, design, develop, maintain and deliver e-Learning Courses (eLC), e-Learning Seminars (eLS), e-Learning Express (eLE), and Micro-Learning Modules (MLM) for Online Micro-Learning Libraries (20%)
- Follow the processes for learning design, content development (new and updates), and collaboration with NAFSA staff and presenters to produce eLC / eLS / eLE / MLM that meet both registration and evaluation targets, adhering to the planned schedule for the year.
- Work with the Senior Director and NAFSA staff to identify topics, presenters/contributors and schedules, and align the topics to the most appropriate delivery modality; responsibilities include recommendations regarding eLC updates, new development of eLS, eLE, or MLM, etc.
- Develop final scripts and story boards as instructional designer for module development.
- Ensure that the curriculum and content are designed to meet the needs of adult learners in a professional setting.
- Design/develop/update training materials in a variety of formats (PowerPoint slides, storyline, Rise 360 Articulate, Adobe Acrobat, InDesign, etc.) to provide consistency and optimize learning support for online learning and across all PLS online learning product lines.
- Utilize instructional design best practices to edit program materials for clarity, learner needs, and continuity.
Collaborate with volunteer contributors (20%)
- Serve as staff partner to e-learning course deans and provide appropriate guidance and training to SMEs, contributors and presenters.
- Facilitate e-learning course dean and presenter discussions to integrate expectations, content, and design for target audiences.
- Set reasonable deadlines for e-learning course deans, speakers, and presenters for delivery and coordination of materials, including PowerPoint slides and handout materials.
- Support volunteer member leaders' recruitment of program development team members.
- Co-facilitate program development team design meetings with volunteers, consultant and/or staff.
- Ensure program development teams meet regularly by conference call and/or virtually to facilitate timely completion of assignments.
- Support volunteer program development teams by providing coaching on training and adult learning design when needed.
- Ensure that appropriate agreements between NAFSA and contributors/presenters have been executed and are on file.
Coordinate online program delivery (10%)
- Coordinate online program marketing, development and delivery, meeting both registration and evaluation targets.
- Collaborate with the Marketing department and the Senior Director to develop marketing plans and materials for assigned programs.
- Manage marketing content updates; develop marketing copy for online products and meet deadlines.
Assist the Senior Director in the exploration and development of new online learning products and support PLS strategic initiatives (10%)
- Support PLS strategic initiatives in connection with new product development pertaining to online learning.
- Lead product development efforts in the areas of micro- and mobile learning, online learning libraries, NAFSA certificates, PLS technology projects, etc.
Act as point person and subject matter expert for Learning Management System (LMS) and Content Management System (CMS) interface management and maintenance of PLS content (15%)
- Build, manage, and maintain online learning offerings within appropriate LMS by adding all required components, modules, participant workbook, glossary, resources, quizzes, user guides, etc.
- Act as liaison for NAFSA Web and Technology Solutions Team staff, external consultants, and LMS host for online learning products; work with web hosting service and Web/MIS staff to support the troubleshooting of issues related to participant access to LMS and online learning materials.
- Help organize content and encourage audience participation within a multi-media, virtual learning environment.
Quality Control and Program Evaluation (15%)
- Work collaboratively with PLS team members to conduct quality assurance and ensure design consistency across all PLS product lines.
- Serve as PLS team lead and work collaboratively with team members and domain staff to ensure consistency in training material design, formatting, and branding across all PLS product lines.
- Ensure each online program curriculum has the appropriate complementary set of materials, such as participant handouts and resources, visuals, presenter guides, and supplemental materials.
- Collaborate with team members to ensure continuous development process improvement.
- Evaluate and improve program development/design process for all PLS online learning products.
- Review registration and evaluation data in an ongoing manner and make recommendations for new content or improvements to the Senior Director as appropriate.
- Facilitate user testing of program curriculum.
All other projects as assigned by the Senior Director (10%)
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least two years of previous work experience in online learning development and e-learning design
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, including web-based applications and presentation delivery
- Demonstrated ability to utilize Articulate Storyline software to deliver online education
- Exposure to adult learning principles
- Demonstrated ability to plan, take initiative, set priorities, and exercise sound judgment in a complex, fast-moving environment
- Ability to master various technology, web, and data management systems
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and Adobe products
- Proficiency with InDesign, Articulate Rise 360, or GoAnimate/Vyond software
- Experience in micro/mobile learning, CMS management, video and animation
- Exposure to or experience in volunteer engagement and/or international education
- Previous experience with NAFSA, international education, or other association membership, or nonprofit organization
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities. Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The week after Memorial Day to Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel is required occasionally related to job responsibilities, especially for the annual conference or other leadership meetings. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities.
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world's largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive, and accessible workplace to all employees. Learn more about NAFSA at .