About KIPP Bay Area Public Schools
KIPP is a non-profit network of 224 college-preparatory, public charter schools across the country educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice-filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, and for us all.
There are currently 15 KIPP schools across the Bay Area educating nearly 6,000 students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Redwood City and supporting over 3,000 alumni around the country.
About the Data & Evaluation Team
We want every layer of our organization -- from our Executive Team to our teachers -- to feel empowered by data, and ready to learn and grow from it so that we can best support our students, families, and staff. To do this, we aim to make actionable insight readily available, drive regional evaluation to identify and share best practices, improve processes and role sustainability, and to inspire introspection among our teammates.
We are looking for a Data Analyst to join our relentlessly curious, entrepreneurial regional Data and Evaluation team. They will focus on a portfolio of work that supports college matriculation, persistence, and alignment with KIPP Foundation reporting metrics. We are looking for a data evangelist, who not only enjoys diving deep into data sets and uncovering key insights but also is excited by building data literacy and championing a data-driven culture. The ideal candidate will be an analytical, resourceful problem-solver and a skilled communicator. This is a highly collaborative position, as the Data Analyst will work cross-functionally with several teams at our Regional Support Office in Oakland (BART-accessible), and will report to the Data Manager.
With support from the KIPP Through College (KTC) and Data and Evaluation team, the Data Analyst will be responsible for:
Alumni Data Management, Stewardship, & Support
- Support administration of our region’s Alumni Database (Salesforce), with a focus on advisor support and data quality and accuracy
- Support and train KIPP Through College advisors and managers in maintaining current and accurate student data
- Lead the development, maintenance, and adoption of all KTC Data Analysis Tools
- Work with regional teams to align data definitions, methodologies, and data sources for all topics pertaining to high school enrollment, graduation, college matriculation, and persistence
- Develop and maintain clear documentation to ensure consistency of data definitions and procedures around data collection and reporting
Data Visualization, Reporting & Evaluation
- Serve as the KIPP Through College Data Champion for all evaluation and reporting needs
- Develop a deep expertise in designing, building and maintaining our tool portfolio using Tableau and custom SQL reporting within our data warehouse
- Serve as KTC’s data liaison to the KIPP Foundation, ensuring that the region is on track to meet and exceed data reporting goals
- Develop and share analysis on KIPP Through College programming and goals, supporting KIPP Through College leadership with progress monitoring
- Analyze, prepare and report annual attainment results for the department and regional leadership
- Use Tableau, Google Apps, Microsoft SQL Server, and other tools to customize, create and maintain powerful, sustainable and user-friendly dashboards and tools to support data-driven decision-making
- Complete ad hoc data analysis requests in a timely and efficient manner
Build Capacity and Drive Data Literacy:
- Develop training resources for KTC advisors and leaders on how to effectively use data dashboards
- Help KTC team troubleshoot data reporting issues in Salesforce and Naviance in a way that builds their internal capacity, developing training resources for the most common issues
- Partner with KTC team on data-related projects and initiatives including meeting weekly with KTC leadership to understand project priorities and support needs.
Experience & skills:
- Experience analyzing large datasets with high accuracy and attention to detail; experience with educational data a plus
- Highly resourceful, with demonstrated ability to learn new data platforms/systems quickly and independently
- Strategic thinker, with the ability to think critically about issues and solutions
- Goal-oriented, with strong initiative and creative problem-solving skills
- Flexible, with strong ability to multitask and prioritize
- Proven track record of teamwork and proactive collaboration with others
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of three years’ work experience
- Intermediate expertise with Microsoft Excel
- Experience with SQL for database management and reporting (preferred)
- Experience with data visualization tools (Tableau preferred)
Culture & fit:
- A deep belief that all students can achieve at the highest levels, a passion for social justice and equity for all, and a demonstrated commitment to improving K‐12 public education
- Commitment to working with educationally underserved student and families from historically marginalized communities
- Positivity, optimism and a solutions-oriented mindset
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP Bay Area Public School's mission and values
- Highly motivated to deeply understand and tackle complicated issues and datasets
- Self-starter, comfortable in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Practice healthy communication and embrace productive conflict to form trusting relationships, to collaborate, offer feedback and guidance, and to motivate and inspire others.
- Sense of humor
KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.