The Associate Director of Career Success will lead our region’s career strategy to integrate career awareness, exposure and placement into jobs with family-sustaining wages, benefits, and options for KIPPsters to progress in their career of choice. This is a leadership role with an exciting opportunity to innovate on our current career programming that will focus on transitioning students to a strong first job in their field of choice. This strategy will include building professional partnerships to increase job access for students and alumni, developing and refining multiple pathways to careers that allow them to lead choice-filled lives in the competitive world.
The Associate Director of Career Success will report to the Director of KIPP Through College and Career and will work collaboratively with the Associate Director of College Success.
The ideal candidate for this position has a background in career counseling/advising, workforce development and/or college persistence/college access advising. This individual must possess strategic planning skills, as well as outstanding written and verbal communication skills. They must have a demonstrated interest in serving educationally underserved students from historically marginalized communities and is dedicated to doing whatever it takes to support our students through college and career.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
*General responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Develop and oversee career programming at KIPP Through College including, leading team to meet career goals, building external partnerships, managing career communication to alumni and leading team members with the execution of the following career programs; Career Day, Alumni Internship Program and Alumni Mentorship program.
- Increase programming to integrate career awareness, exposure and immersion opportunities into the high school experience and Career and Technical Education.
- Manage and coach KTC Career Support Staff members (managing up to 2-3 individuals) to ensure they meet and/or exceed performance goals and expectations for a healthy team dynamic.
- Practice healthy communication and embrace productive conflict to form trusting relationships, to collaborate, offer feedback and guidance, and to motivate and inspire others.
- Develop and provide career-focused professional development to KTC team members
- Establish and maintain external partnerships with career development organizations (i.e. MLT, Braven, Concourse, Year Up, etc), and organizations with internship pipeline programs in the private and nonprofit sector, as well as other career mentorship programs
- Develop and oversee workforce development partnerships and programming (certification programs in healthcare, IT and other in-demand fields with track records of placement into jobs with family-sustaining wages, benefits, and options to progress in their careers).
- Design and maintain alumni communication through weekly Career Newsletter and KIPP Bay Area Alumni Group on LinkedIn and regularly post job opportunities.
- Rigorously monitor KIPP alumni employment through Salesforce, using career advisor data for regular reporting and sharing of data to stakeholders
- Coordinate with KIPP’s regional, national, and Foundation staff to develop career program and share best practices.
KIPP Through College Team Participation
- Attend and participate in all KTC team meetings, Alumni Advisor Work Group meetings, KTC Persistence Manager team meetings and Regional Support Office team meetings
- Attend and participate in the KTC Leadership Community of Practice and/or Regional Support Office New Managers training sessions
- Plan and participate in weekly one-on-one meetings with manager and direct reports to maintain healthy team dynamics and drive indisputable impact for students
- Positivity, optimism and a solutions-oriented mindset
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP Bay Area’s mission and values
- Commitment to working with educationally underserved student and families from historically marginalized communities
- Commitment to continuously learning how to lead for equity to ensure students and teammates thrive
- Knowledge of Career Development for first generation, educationally underserved college graduates
- Ability to self-direct and prioritize among competing goals and to initiate process improvements
- Goal-oriented, with strong initiative and creative problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work with a wide range of people including teachers, counselors, parents, students, and administration teams
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Strong working knowledge in all Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Suite
- Extreme flexibility, strong work ethic, and an entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate joining a growing and constantly improving team
- Experience in managing staff and projects with a documented track record of personal and professional success
- Self-starter, comfortable in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in education, counseling, youth development or a related field required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in leading high-performance teams and managing a diverse team
- Knowledge of Career Development for first generation, educationally underserved college graduates from historically marginalized communities
- Demonstrated results driving partnerships with workforce sector
- Experience working in career counseling or youth development
- Previous experience in using data to drive decision making
- Experience managing projects and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders
KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.