The School Security Officer works directly with the local school Principal to provide student safety and supervisory
assistance on school premises and to enforce school regulations regarding conduct. An employee in this position will
respond to complaints of losses of personal and school property, develop procedures to deter trespassers from school
property, and assist in the establishment and formal audit of local security and safety procedures, including the
emergency response plan. The School Security Officer relates well and communicates with students, school staff, and the
The following information is intended to describe the overall nature and scope of the work being performed in relation to
the position. This is not a comprehensive listing of all responsibilities or tasks; other work may be assigned when
* Assists in general supervision of school grounds and buildings; assists with administrative enforcement of school
regulations regarding conduct; responds to complaints of losses of personal and school property; develops
procedures to deter trespassers from school property.
* Provides student safety and supervisory assistance on school premises.
* Oversees and coordinates parking and bus regulations on school grounds and reports accidents on school
* Assists in the establishment and formal audit of local security and safety procedures including the emergency
* Assists with developing effective school-community relations and in maintaining a human relations climate
which promotes a positive school environment.
* Serves as liaison between Loudoun County law enforcement and fire safety officials and school administrators.
Represents the school in court, as needed.
* Coordinates the student Crime Solvers program.
* Bachelor's Degree in Law Enforcement or related field
* Two years of responsible work experience in an area involving monitoring and enforcing appropriate modes of
* Knowledge of rules and regulations regarding student safety and conduct and the ability to enforce those
* Ability to relate to, communicate with, and supervise young adults in order to help establish and maintain
effective relationships with parents and the public
* Ability to supervise and assist in implementing intervention programs for students displaying socially
* Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions, and to prepare clear and comprehensive oral
and written reports
* Sufficient mobility to patrol school hallways and grounds and to monitor student behavior, deter inappropriate
behavior, and apprehend students
* Sufficient vision to be able to observe students and trespassers up to 100 yards away
The following provides a brief description of physical requirements for this position:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, climb, stoop, kneel, bend and
walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects or tools; reach with hands and arms and see and hear. The employee is
occasionally required to sit and may be required to lift up to approximately 50 pounds.