About KIPP Texas Public Schools
Celebrating our 25th anniversary in 2019, KIPP Texas Public Schools educate upwards of 29,000 students at 55 Prek-12 schools in Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. KIPP Texas has placed thousands of KIPPsters on the path to and through college. Learn more at KIPPTexas.org
The Opportunity: External Communications Manager
Communication, culture, community, and technology are continuously evolving. The External Communications Manager for KIPP Texas Public Schools will use their experience, creativity, and innovative spirit to provide strategy and tactics to evaluate the current news landscape and craft proactive pitches sharing our mission through our students, families, teachers, and alumni. Additionally, this individual will help us navigate reactive stories and through crisis leveraging their critical thinking skills and experience. This work will take place across Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio and will include:
- Evaluating current external communications strategies in each region to understand norms, best practices, and opportunities with an eye towards a better way to communicate;
- Collaborating with key academic, organizational leaders, and external partners to understand goals, culture, mission/vision/values, and differentiators to build a comprehensive external communications plan with multiple touchpoints that reaches a variety of demographics and regions;
- Developing and managing an editorial calendar reflective of KIPP Texas mission and seasonality of monthly milestones which includes enterprising stories of students, families, teachers, and alumni to bring our mission and brand to life.
- Leveraging strong media relationships across the key regions and state;
- Engaging in and executing the external communications plan, leveraging strong news judgement, writing, creativity, and other skill sets garnered through experience and best practices;
- Maintaining digital media kit, crisis communications templates, and external-facing documents.
- Developing benchmarks to measure success and adjust tactics to meet the goals and needs of the organization;
- Working within the constraints of time and budget and;
- Utilizing strong interpersonal skills with a desire to live, act, and breathe a culture of communications with diverse audiences across four key regions in the state.
While this position will provide support for four regions across the state, it will be based in Houston.
Experience and Attributes:
- A competency and familiarity of using various forms of current and new technology (including collaboration platforms, video platforms, etc.) to support and enhance communication across dispersed teams and to deliver key messages in creative ways to different audiences;
- Skilled writer with attention to detail and experience in writing external communications, messaging, and leveraging communications to help reinforce our brand in the marketplace;
- Evidence of high-level organizational and analytical skills, and ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Social media fluency
- The ability to speak, read, and write in Spanish and English
- A comfort level with uncertainty and find enjoyment in the process of continuous learning, experimentation, iteration, and improvement;
- A philosophy of best practices AND adjusting to an ever-changing environment and diverse audiences;
- An entrepreneurial spirit and commitment to finding new voices and stories;
- Ability to relate to and communicate with parents from diverse cultural, language, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds;
- Strong work ethic coupled with critical thinking skills and an enthusiastic and passionate approach to the work;
- Self-starter and problem solver willing to take the lead to help create an authentic voice that makes a lasting impact;
- Ability to occasionally travel to Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, and/or San Antonio;
- Bachelor’s or graduate degree in English, journalism, marketing, communications, public relations, digital communications, or a closely related field.
- At least 5-7 years of experience successfully managing external communications across multiple regions
- Experience working in a newsroom and in education is preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is based on years of experience, degree of education, and level of expertise. A competitive benefits package is also offered.
KIPP is a non-profit national network of 224 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating elementary, middle, and high school students. We believe that all students will learn and achieve at high levels if given the opportunity. Our mission is to help students develop the knowledge, skills, and character strengths they need to seize those opportunities. Great education transforms lives.
KIPP provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.