ABOUT KIPP TEXAS PUBLIC SCHOOLS
For more than 15 years, KIPP Austin, KIPP Dallas-Fort Worth, KIPP Houston, and KIPP San Antonio have put thousands of KIPPsters on the path to and through college. Last year, we collectively educated over 25,000 students in more than 50 schools, covering a geographic area of over 400 miles. Our regions have a long history of informal collaboration, with teachers and staff members sharing ideas, curricula, professional development, facilities, finances, end-of-year field trips, and more. As of the 2018-2019 school year, all KIPP schools in Texas join forces as KIPP Texas Public Schools, a state-wide network of schools dedicated to supporting students to and through college!
KIPP Texas has 6 schools located in San Antonio:
- KIPP Aspire Academy (5-8), founded in 2003,
- KIPP University Prep (9-12), 2009,
- KIPP Camino Academy (5-8), 2010,
- KIPP Un Mundo Dual Language Academy (K-4), 2012,
- KIPP Esperanza Dual Language Academy (K-4), 2014, and
- KIPP Poder Middle School (5-8), 2015.
The Head of Schools is responsible for the overall quality of school programming and maintains a laser-focus on continually increasing the number of students who thrive in and graduate from the college of their choice. They pursue this work through excellent management and development of 3-5 principals and collaboration cross-organizationally with other development, operations, technology, talent, curriculum, and finance leaders. The HOS reports to the Superintendent and serves as an integral member of the KIPP San Antonio academic leadership team, which is responsible for driving the overall direction and strategy for all KIPP San Antonio programming. This is an ideal opportunity for a dynamic and visionary organizational leader with significant people management experience to play a critical role in expanding and shaping a premier K-12 charter management organization committed to supporting students to graduate college and succeed in school and life.
I. Managerial Leadership and Team Development
- Manages 3-5 school principals
- Builds a strong, cohesive team culture that reflects core KIPP Texas: San Antonio's values
- Serves as a thought partner to direct reports as they lead their respective teams; coaches and supports direct reports to address their key roles and responsibilities
- Works in collaboration with the Regional Superintendent and Talent Team to hire school principals and assistant principals and execute the organization’s talent strategy in schools including providing best-practice coaching and development, annual goal setting, and succession planning
- Plans and implements professional development for school principals and assistant principals
- Supervises principals in the creation and implementation of effective professional development opportunities for their staff
- Completes bi-annual performance evaluations of direct reports
- Supports the development of assistant principals and successor leaders across all schools
II. Educational Leadership & Academic Support
- Work with principals to implement the academic strategies, all aspects of the talent strategies, and support principals to implement their school priorities in alignment with KIPP Texas vision, mission, and strategic plan
- Collaborates with co-Heads of Schools and centralized Academic Team members to implement academic priorities
- Works with principals to develop and implement long-term plans for curriculum, assessment, and school improvement
- Ensures that the principals have a clear plan for improvement of instruction and school culture
- Engages principals in weekly academic program analysis and progress monitoring
- Manages long-term and annual school planning
- Supports the development of strong school operational systems and processes with a focus on data collection, scheduling, and Special Education programs and services
III. KIPP San Antonio Leadership
- Participates in KIPP San Antonio academic leadership team that oversees the strategy for all KIPP Texas: San Antonio programming
- Works with KIPP San Antonio academic leadership to develop a vision and comprehensive long-term plan for the design of the schools
- Recommends to the KIPP San Antonio Regional Superintendent system-wide goals, monitors and reports back to the Regional Superintendent on the progress toward achieving the goals
- Works with the central office to ensure that all of the operations, technology, talent, and financial needs of the schools are met
- Liaises with external stakeholders, community agencies, donors, and other third-party constituencies
KIPP San Antonio Head of Schools candidates will have the following:
- 3-5 years of experience as a principal in a high performing school serving a similar student population to KIPP San Antonio
- An understanding of the specific, unique characteristics of public charter schools, Texas-specific knowledge a plus
- A proven track record of success managing high-performing school leaders to achieve ambitious goals; previous experience supporting the full array of responsibilities and challenges faced by school principals preferred but not required
- Outstanding leadership and management skills, particularly as it relates to building teams, working through others, promoting collaboration, managing conflict, goal setting, and holding people accountable
- An entrepreneurial spirit and demonstrated success in building a program, department or organization
- The flexibility needed to accommodate the breadth and depth of responsibilities and priorities
- Outstanding written, speaking, and organizational skills including excellence in backwards planning long-term goals, accountability and progress monitoring systems
- Ability to interact with a broad range of stakeholders with different interests and needs
- Deep commitment to improving the lives of students from low-income communities
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is based on years of experience, degree of education, and level of expertise. A competitive benefits package is also offered.
KIPP is a non-profit network of 200 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating elementary, middle, and high school students. We believe that all students will learn and achieve at high levels if given the opportunity. Our mission is to help students develop the knowledge, skills, and character strengths they need to seize those opportunities. Great education transforms lives.
KIPP provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.