Austin, Boston or Denver preferred
Reporting directly to one of our co-founders and Partners, and working closely with other members of the Empower team, you will work to identify and support opportunities to design and launch innovative solutions that can better meet the needs of students. More specifically, your work will include (1) supporting our growth in Colorado and other select geographies, and (2) advancing our rural innovation strategy regionally and nationally. Your leadership in driving our growth will create opportunities for more students, especially those least well served by the current system.
As part of this role, you will receive coaching and mentorship from experienced leaders and entrepreneurs, and interact with a wide range of leaders and practitioners in the field. The location for this position is flexible, but our preference is Austin, TX, Boston, MA, or Denver, CO where we have staff on the ground. If public health conditions make travel possible then applicants must be willing to travel up to 25% of the time.
Who We Are
Empower Schools is a national nonprofit organization that works locally to catalyze innovation and improve student outcomes. We believe that schools and communities thrive when educators are empowered and held accountable for making key decisions that are best for students.
Empower partners with local communities across the country to design, launch, and support innovative structures and systems to better meet student needs. Our approach combines locally driven innovations and solutions, targeted support, and strong accountability to ensure communities are equipped to provide an excellent education to all their students. Whether working with a large, urban school district like Denver Public Schools or supporting a group of
smaller districts in rural Southwest Colorado to collaborate in new ways, Empower pairs flexibility and a desire to customize its support to local needs with core commitments to equity, sustainability of efforts, empowering educators, and improving the educational experience for all students.
We believe that our team members’ background, experience, and passion for our mission sets us apart and allows us to build a great workplace. Learn more at www.empowerschools.org.
Who You Are
● You are knowledgeable about the intersection of education and equity, and deeply committed to supporting transformational outcomes for students across race and class
● You are curious and excited to help us develop creative solutions to challenges encountered at the school and system levels.
● You are eager to identify champions and partners for our growing body of work.
● You are a quick learner and able to take ideas and solutions from brainstorms to fruition, while engaging and incorporating the perspectives of others.
● You are highly organized and your strong project management skills allow you to manage complex projects involving multiple stakeholders and tight deadlines to high standards.
● You thrive in a rapidly evolving entrepreneurial environment, and recognize that resourcefulness and effective communication skills are key to your success in driving towards high-quality outcomes.
● You are an exemplary writer and producer of high-quality content that your team is proud to share.
● You enjoy working individually and as part of a team and are able to quickly and effectively build strong relationships and influence others.
● You make time to reflect on your work in order to continually improve your
effectiveness, and know how to self-advocate in order to get the support that you need.
● In short, you are ready to use your broad skill set to take on Empower’s growth priorities, whatever they may be along the way.
How You’ll Help
As a Manager, you will play a key role in advancing the work of Empower Schools by cultivating and managing an array of projects aligned to our growth strategy. Your work will vary based on the needs of Empower and will include the following:
● Work with the co-founder and Partner to create, implement, and continually revise a growth plan with related goals as part of a multi-year strategy Research and Project Support
● Research and identify state, district and other potential partners regionally and nationally
● Develop and maintain an effective strategy for tracking prospective opportunities
● Participate in cultivating interest in and conducting exploratory efforts with potential partners
● Support successfully initiated partnerships in their early stages, including building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders and serving as a project manager, as necessary
● Plan, attend, and provide follow-up for meetings with internal and external stakeholders
Creation of high-quality materials
● Write, edit, and present compelling and tailored proposals, project plans, concept papers, slide presentations and other materials
● Manage and prepare all reporting requirements
Additional support as needed
● Provide leverage and capacity to Empower Schools on other initiatives as needed
● Genuine interest in and curiosity about the intersection of education and equity, and strong alignment with the goals of Empower Schools
● Track record of taking initiative and displaying strong judgement to successfully navigate ambiguous and complex projects involving multiple stakeholders
● Strong project management and problem-solving skills oriented towards achieving outcomes
● Exemplary written and oral communications skills, including the ability to translate ideas into clear, compelling documents (e.g., in PowerPoint and Word formats)
● Ability to to work independently and to build successful relationships with teammates, partners, external organizations, and education leaders
● At least 3 years of work experience, consulting and strategic planning work preferred
● BA/BS or advanced degree preferred
Salary and Benefits
The salary for managers starts at $65,000 per year. Empower Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, retirement benefits, life and disability insurance, and flexible spending accounts.
We support equal opportunity and value building the diversity of our team as we grow. We seek individuals of all races, ethnicities, abilities, and creeds to support our organization’s work and encourage individuals from historically under-represented backgrounds to apply.