City Year San José / Silicon Valley has established a strong presence in 13 schools in East San Jose, and we are substantially and strategically expanding our impact in the community through our Long-Term Impact Plan. We partner with public schools and AmeriCorps members to help create a continuum of care in which students may receive City Year support from elementary school all the way through high school. Our work with students includes classroom support, tutoring, mentorship, and STEAM-based afterschool programming.
The Program Director (PD) reports to the Managing Director of Impact and will oversee the implementation of the Whole School, Whole Child (WSWC) model through the supervision of Impact Managers and teams of 8-14 AmeriCorps members in 4-5 schools. The Program Director must enjoy organizational culture, management, and inspiring and developing others. As a member of the Impact Leadership Team, the Program Director will collaborate closely with other Program Directors, the Learning & Development Director, and the Evaluation Analyst to ensure that we meet the needs of the students in the East San Jose schools in which we serve, as well as the AmeriCorps members who commit to serve for 1-2 years.
The Program Director will play a leading role in guiding, motivating, and managing staff in a collaborative and community-minded environment as well as sharpening and advancing the execution of the service model under the leadership of the Managing Director.
- Collaborating with the Learning & Development Director and other Program Directors to work creatively to advance and innovate the model
- Providing coaching, mentoring, and inspiration to both staff and AmeriCorps members to execute the service model in rigorous pursuit of student academic growth
- Helping to build and shape the culture of the entire department to pursue idealism, high expectations, and a beloved community
- Upholding program and service-based operating policies and procedures consistent with the organization’s culture and desired results
- Working collaboratively with the Learning & Development Department to ensure that the site delivers a transformative civic leadership training program for AmeriCorps members
- Ensuring the development, analysis, and articulation of clear metrics for organizational success, as well as the successful implementation of evaluation mechanisms
- Articulating the role that education reform plays in the social justice movement and building a more equitable and democratic society
- Building relationships with critical stakeholders to advance our work, including school administration and staff.
- Previous experience leading, coaching, or managing others required
- Ability to relate with and inspire 17 – 24 year olds
- Belief in young people as agents of social change
- Exhibits a high level of accountability, project execution, and personal responsibility
- Exhibits knowledge of working within a school environment
- Demonstrates grit, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a growth mindset
- Ability to successfully lead staff with a culture that values evaluation and data-informed instruction
- Strong presentation and adult training skills
- Exhibits excellent customer service and is consistent with follow-up
- Exhibits a high level of integrity and communicates across the organization effectively, openly and with respect.
Strategic Thinking and Decision-making:
- Demonstrates consistent sound judgment and decision making
- Ability to identify potential programmatic problems, analyze issues and extrapolate appropriate solutions to strengthen service.
- Provides proactive and strategic solutions and can execute on those decisions;
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Coaching experience strongly preferred (sports coaches, educational coaches, etc.)
Compensation and Benefits
Full time employees are entitled to compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits for full time employees include health insurance with Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, and more.
City Year is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.