About KIPP Bay Area Public Schools
KIPP is a non-profit network of 224 college-preparatory, public charter schools across the country educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice-filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, and for us all.
There are currently 15 KIPP schools across the Bay Area educating nearly 6,000 students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Redwood City and supporting over 3,000 alumni around the country.
The facilities coordinator is responsible for maintaining a clean and safe environment to support teaching and learning. He/She is responsible for the cleaning and maintenance of all school buildings and grounds; including supervision of other custodians and groundskeepers. He/She is expected to maintain a high level of student confidentiality.
The vision of this position is that our buildings are well planned and maintained. They are clean, safe, and welcoming. Floors sparkle!
This position reports to the Operations Manager.
Roles and Responsibilities
Open facilities and maintain systems for school use
- Unlock doors, disable the alarm system, ensure that the air conditioning/heater turns on, turn on lights, open bathrooms, raise the flag, prepare breakfast service
- Lead breakfast service and supervision of students in the MPR from 7-7:25.
- Make inspections of buildings and grounds to note significant conditions and sees that needed work is done. Pick up trash and straighten up during the daily inspection.
- Learn building systems and train others on the fire alarm, burglar, and electrical breaker systems.
- Restock paper across campus and fill each copier with paper at the end of each week.
- Greet families and direct them to appropriate staff
Perform general cleaning duties
- Daily cleaning of all school spaces and grounds above and beyond what janitorial vendor provides; including exterior walkways, halls, common spaces, classrooms, and bathrooms
- Cleaning duties include sweeping and mopping floors, cleaning windows, cleaning and restocking all student and faculty restrooms, cleaning drinking fountains and whiteboards, and removing trash if work is not performed by the cleaning crew.
- Respond to staff requests for building repairs and cleanups.
- Monitor cleaning service company's performance on a daily basis and report issues.
- Serve as quality control and liaison to janitorial vendor.
Set up cafeteria/MPR/classrooms
- Set up and break down cafeteria tables before and after-school meals.
- Prepare MPR for assemblies by breaking down tables and organizing the space as requested for KSA community and guests.
- Provide order information; receive breakfast, lunch and snack deliveries; set up for each meal period
- Remove breakfast and lunch garbage after each meal period
- Help set up classrooms, MPR, or other spaces for special events or other school use
- Schedules the use of school facilities by outside groups
- Order and assemble basic furniture and supplies (bookshelves, desks, chairs, etc.)
- Order janitorial supplies for Janitorial crew
Perform small handyman duties
- Replace light bulbs, hang cork boards, paint, carpentry work, etc.
- Help receive deliveries and deliver large packages from the reception area to the appropriate faculty member. Restock paper in copiers every Friday evening and as needed.
- Clean and maintain desks, chairs, rugs, lighting fixtures, windows, and other furniture and fixtures.
- Coordinate and perform specific projects when school is not in session (winter, spring, and summer breaks).
- Coordinate with district staff to arrange major maintenance or repair work orders.
Formally check-in weekly with supervisor
- Inspect the service level from the evening cleaning crew on a daily basis; report issues to correct items that were not appropriately done.
- Inform supervisor when supplies need to be ordered, keeping a small inventory stock to help prevent waste or careless use.
- Inform the supervisor of facility issues and equipment failures.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned and requested by the Supervisor or School Leader
Skills and Qualifications
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP Bay Area Public School's mission and values
- 1-3 years of housekeeping/janitorial experience, preferably in a school setting
- Strong focus on customer service
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to identify problems and proactively find solutions
- Knowledge of modern cleaning methods, tools, and equipment
- English, written and oral fluency; Spanish fluency is a plus
- Ability to lift and carry 20-50 lbs
Salary & Benefits
We are dedicated to you and your family's well-being! KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.