Jul 28, 2021
IDEA Public Schools
Austin, TX, USA
Position at IDEA Public Schools
Austin is a vibrant city filled with a rich cultural heritage and is ranked as the #1 Best Place to Live for the second year in a row by U.S. News and World Report . The city of Austin is the state capital and holds the ranking as the 11 th largest city in the United States. Currently, Austin is home to 10 of IDEA's schools and serves nearly 5,000 students at campuses in Austin, Kyle, and Pflugerville.
In a city that is a hub for knowledge, IDEA is working to support the community through education, which is the single most effective anti-poverty strategy we possess as a nation. This is why we focus on AP courses for all students, college acceptance, and matriculation. Only 1 in 8 Austin students graduate college ready. Changing this statistic is part of the promise IDEA makes to current and incoming students. Our goal is to add 16 more schools over the next 4 years, including IDEA's first health professions school, in support of our mission of college for all, positioning us to serve approximately 13,000 students by 2022.
Role Mission: IDEA Assistant Principals of Instruction (APIs) are instructional leaders who manage, coach and develop the teachers at their school to achieve ambitious results with students. They monitor the progress of students to ensure ALL students are on-track for college.
Accountabilities include and are not limited to:
* 96% of students passing all classes (On Track to Graduate)
* 90% Approaching | 60% Meets | 30% Mastered on STAAR/EOC
* 60% of SpEd students attain "approaches" on STAAR
* 75% sub populations (SpEd and/or ELL) meet Index 2 STAAR growth measure
* 90% Student Persistence
* 85% Teacher Retention
* 97.5% Average Daily Attendance for students
* Focus on IDEA's core purpose to get all students into college
* Hold high expectations for self and others to achieve and surpass intended goals
* Lead instructional staff to achieve measurable and ambitious results
* Lead instructional staff to improve their teaching quickly and measurably through daily observations, on-the-spot coaching, data conversations, and effective evaluations
* Supervise the implementation of TEKS based IDEA curricula and assessments to meet ambitious academic expectations
* Review teachers' weekly lesson plans and provide feedback
* Synthesize, analyze, and prioritize data and opportunities to develop strategies that achieve quantifiable goals
* Proactively identify opportunities to improve and consistently reflect on past actions to guide future decisions
* Communicate students' progress with student and family
* Establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with students and families based on trust, understanding and respect for the communities in which they identify.
* Effective facilitation and personal use of technology as a communication and educational tool to improve teacher development, student achievement and manage work related tasks.
* Support the creation and implementation of a clear and consistent behavior management system while developing students' character and sense of community
* Help shape and develop a school wide culture that fosters a productive and enthusiastic learning environment for each student
* Oversee campus based tutoring sessions
* Participate in weekly manager check-ins, grade-level meetings, before and after-school duties, and school wide meetings and functions
* Engage in summer and year-long district, school and personal learning and development
* Minimum of 40+ hours spent at school per week
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
* Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
* Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
* Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
* Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
* Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
* Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
* Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
* We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
* Instructionally coach and manage several teachers and/or co-teachers
* Conduct 1:1 meetings with direct reports to monitor progress towards student goals and provide coaching
* Education: Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred
* Experience: At least 3 years of full time teaching experience; Teacher leadership or administrative experience required; Proven track record of achieving success in the K-12 setting; experience managing/coaching others preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
* Knowledge of core academic subject assigned and ability to pass an IDEA content assessment
* Strong ability to coach teachers on curriculum and instruction
* Ability to instruct students and manage student behavior
* Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
* Ability to adjust and adapt to a multitude of situations in the school environment
* Salaries for this role typically fall between $ 65,828 and $ 79,831 commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational performance and goal attainment.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.